The following guide for the best non slip yoga mats has been designed to help you choose the yoga mat best suited to your unique needs. The selections have been made based on quality, consumer ratings, materials, and tactile feel. Most importantly, every yoga mat appearing on this list is non-slip, making it versatile enough to use on carpeted or hardwood floors.
Many are waterproof or equipped with moisture-wicking technology. This allows the user to continue posing safely even when working up a sweat. If you base your purchase on the items found in this list, rest assured that you’ll be making a good investment. One that will pay off with years of safe, enjoyable use.
Disclosure – This post contains affiliate links that generate a commission at no additional cost to you.
Top ten non slip yoga mats for sweaty hands:
Yoga mats are needed or required for a quality yoga practice. Regardless of if you are doing yoga at home or in a group setting or workout class. Safety is something many don’t think about when they choose a yoga mat. Many mats are just cheaply made. Cheap price make people grab them, and then soon regret not spending a bit more for quality and safety.
Read on to discover the best non slip yoga mats we suggest. Leave us a comment to let us know which is your personal favorite!
Gaiam Athletic Yoga Series
The first item on our list is also one of the most affordable. Making it a great option for newcomers to yoga as well as those on a budget. The sleek black Gaiam Athletic Xtra-Large Yoga Mat is both longer and wider than most standard yoga mats. Thus making it a great selection for taller than average people. But also for those who just prefer a little more room to stretch out comfortably.
It’s constructed from materials that allow it to grip the floor and give the user plenty of traction. As well as remaining light, flexible, and easy to fold up. The PVC backing ensures the mat is lightweight and portable. The moisture-wicking surface helps to absorb perspiration for continued safe use even during especially athletic routines. These attributes mean it’s also a terrific mat to use during hot yoga. Hot yoga is traditionally performed in a sauna-like environment. Also great for more vigorous exercises like pilates where you can expect to work up a sweat. Be sure to combine this with a yoga towel from our list.
- Due to its oversized dimension, this mat is a great selection for people 5’10” and taller.
- Its non-slip technology means this mat is ideal for intense yoga practice as well as hot yoga. The more you sweat, the more the surface grips you in response!
- It is ten inches longer and two inches wider than a standard mat. The Gaiam Athletic Xtra-Large Mat may not be ideal for crowded yoga classes or at-home practice in small spaces.
- Some consumers have found that the mat’s high absorbency means it’s prone to trapping orders. For that reason, it’s important to be vigilant about sanitizing the mat after each use to reduce unpleasant smells.
Jade Yoga Fusion Mat
This mat was our unequivocal favorite for large-bodied practitioners as well as those with joint pain. One of the common pitfalls experienced by heavier people who do yoga is finding that standard mats are too narrow. Also they are insufficiently cushion them from the hard floor. The Jade Yoga Fusion mat, in contrast, offers both. More surface area than your average mat. And enough cushioning to allow all users to complete their yoga routine without soreness or pain.
Learn Why this is one of the Best Non Slip Yoga Mats
It’s extra thick, affording plenty of comfort and support on even the firmest surface. And expansive enough that you can lie down without ending up on the floor. It’s also arguably our most environmentally friendly selection. This mat is made domestically by American manufacturers, and constructed entirely out of natural rubber.
This means that the mat will eventually biodegrade if left exposed to sunlight. Thus making it an ecologically sound selection you can purchase guilt-free. Through its partnership with Trees for the Future, for every mat sold Jade will sponsor the planting of one tree. Eco-conscious consumers will love knowing that the dollars they spend on the Jade Yoga Fusion mat are going toward helping build a more robust ecosystem. You may also be interested in some of the best yoga blocks from our list, so check them out.
- This mat will appeal to environmentally conscious users. It’s made in the US in full compliance with labor and environmental laws, and it contains no PVC or other ozone-depleting substances. It is made from 100% natural rubber and is fully biodegradable.
- 5/16″ thickness means it’s softer and more supportive than standard mats, allowing for more comfortable use by heavier yoga practitioners.
- Because it can biodegrade if left in the sunlight, this mat is not ideal for outdoor use. It also shouldn’t be stored in your car or left in a sunny room in your home.
Aurorae Printed Extra Thick Yoga Mat
Those who value form as much as they do functionality will be enchanted by the Aurorae Printed Extra Thick Yoga mat. This mat comes in a wide array of beautiful colors intended to emulate the Northern Lights, and the selection of elegant nature-based designs gives each mat unique visual appeal letting the user expressively personalize their yoga experience.
Why this is one of the Best Non Slip Yoga Mats
The designs include a tree silhouette, flowers, a mountain landscape, and more. The mats are made entirely from safe, non-toxic materials and contain no rubbers, silicones, phthalates, or other harmful components. The durable, lightweight material is a full quarter-inch thick, making it ideal for users who prefer more cushioning and giving you a thick, comfortable foundation to relax into.
Like the Jade Yoga Fusion mat, the Aurorae mat is made entirely from natural materials and fully biodegradable, making it an ecologically sound choice for environmentally conscious consumers. It can be easily cleaned with simple soap and water and left out to air dry. Each mat also comes with a bottle of Aurorae Yoga Mat Wash to freshen and sanitize after use, helping reduce unwanted odors and preserve a hygienic environment. What specifically earned this mat a spot on our non-slip list? It also comes with rosin, giving the user a unique level of control over how much gripping power the mat can have.
- Made of natural, non-toxic materials that will eventually biodegrade, making it an environmentally friendly purchase.
- Available in a huge assortment of beautiful colors and designs, allowing the buyer to express themselves through their selection.
- Comes with rosin that can be applied for a non-slip surface and sanitizing spray to help keep the mat clean.
- Because this mat is biodegradable, it should not be stored in direct sunlight or left exposed to the elements, and it may need to be replaced sooner than other mats.
Youphoria Hot Yoga Yoga Mat
The Youphoria yoga mat offers a unique solution to the problem of slippage caused by perspiration. It actually absorbs moisture into he material! “But wait,” you might be thinking, “isn’t that unsanitary? Won’t the mat start to smell?” Youphoria has a solution to that problem, too. A built-in antimicrobial layer that helps destroy the bacteria that generate unpleasant odors.
This feature also means keeping the mat clean is a simple matter. All you have to do is give it a brisk wipe-down with a damp cloth after each use. Then you’re set for next time. The non-slip TPE bottom and open cell top work together to create a surface that grips your body as firmly as it does the floor. Plus it’s lightweight enough for easy storage and portability. Be sure to also check out our guide to the best women’s yoga tops and pick your favorite.
- Lightweight and travels easily, weighing in at only 2 pounds and measuring 6mm thick. This is a great mat for the yogi on the go.
- Anti-microbial layer kills odor-causing bacteria for ultimate sanitation. You never have to worry about sweating into this mat and can easily use it for more athletic exercises like pilates or bikram yoga.
- Ultra-absorbent material wicks moisture away as you sweat, leaving you with a dry, non-slip surface to practice on.
- The mat is made of non-toxic materials that will never crumble or flake and can be easily wiped down with a damp cloth. It never needs to be laundered in the washing machine.
- Some users have reported that their bodies’ natural oils left discoloration on the mat. You can mitigate transference of oil onto the material by showering beforehand and avoiding lotions or creams prior to use.
Manduka PRO Yoga Mat
The Manduka PRO mat is a little pricier than some of the other selections on our top-ten list, but not for no reason. After all, the word “pro” is right there in the name, which should tell you something about which market this mat is intended for.
The Maduka is definitely not a beginner’s mat. It’s an investment for the more experienced practitioner who knows their mat is going to be used regularly. Built for longevity, this mat is made from synthetic, non-toxic materials and is 100% latex-free: an asset for those with sensitivities. At 6mm thick, the Maduka offers high-density support, allowing the user to do unlimited poses even on hard floors without discomfort or soreness afterward.
The closed-cell surface prevents sweat from permeating the mat, allowing for better hygiene and odor-free use over time. The textured material offers slip-free performance for optimal safety and can be easily wiped down with a damp cloth between uses.
- High-density material offers cushioning support in all poses and also provides a solid foundation on which to practice yoga.
- Closed-cell surface prevents the mat from absorbing sweat and retaining unpleasant odors after use. It also makes for easy clean-up in between sessions.
- The extreme durability of the material means you can look forward to many years of use without having to worry about the mat degrading over time.
- Some consumers reported that the surface of the mat was too slick for their liking initially, and that the mat must be salted and broken in for it to function optimally. However, after breaking it in, most users reported that the mat performed excellently with superior traction and gripping.
BalanceFoam GoYoga All-Purpose Yoga Mat
For the absolute beginner who isn’t quite sure about the direction of their yoga journey, the BalanceFoam All-Purpose mat can’t be beat. It’s an incomparable bargain at under thirteen dollars, making it an ideal choice for those new to the yoga world and unsure of their equipment needs. But this mat doesn’t perform like a beginner’s mat.
Reasons why this is one of the Best Non Slip Yoga Mats
At a full half-inch thick, it’s uncommonly dense and luxurious, offering a thick, supportive foundation that will cradle the user’s joints, offering much-needed hip, knee, and elbow support. The double-sided material is thickly textured for a non-slip finish, making it perfect for use on hardwood floors, and the solidity of the thick foam ensures good balance even during complicated poses.
This is a frequently overlooked feature that’s essential for beginning yoga students. Especially as practitioners begin attempting more challenging poses, the risk of injury increases if you don’t have a stable, slip-free base to work on. Luckily, BalanceFoam’s safety-forward design has you covered. The mat also comes with a free strap for easy transport and storage, and every mat comes equipped with a BalanceFoam guarantee and two-year warranty, so you can know you’re getting your money’s worth. This mat might be oriented toward beginners, but regardless of your skill level you can expect to get years of safe and satisfying use out of it. Make sure you also check our guide to the best squat-proof leggings.
- Extra-thick material offers ample cushioning of sensitive joints and also provides a firm, stable, non-slip surface that even the newest yoga practitioner can safely balance on.
- Mat can be easily wiped down with soap and water between uses.
- Comes with a free strap for easy transport and storage.
- A satisfaction guarantee and warranty ensure the purchaser will be able to enjoy the mat for a long time to come.
- Standard dimensions mean this mat may not be ideal for taller or larger-bodied people.
Heathyoga Eco-Friendly Non-Slip Yoga Mat
The Heathyoga mat is another affordably priced yoga mat that utilizes an ingenious body alignment system to help you get your body into proper alignment during your yoga practice. Clearly delineated grid lines show the user exactly how to position his or her body for optimal spinal alignment and accuracy, enhancing the musculoskeletal benefits of your yoga practice. The 6mm thick foam has a double-layer design for durability, improved balance, and optimal performance.
More Reasons Why This is one of the Best Non Slip Yoga Mats
The textured TPE (thermoplastic elastomers) material provides a non-slip surface for safe, supported poses, and it comes in a wide array of bright colors to suit your personal taste. Additionally, the TPE is non-toxic, odorless, and eco-friendly, so you can be assured you aren’t being exposed to any harmful chemicals and are doing your part to help protect the planet. The mat is also longer and thicker than standard mats, making it ideal for taller people and larger bodies. The closed-cell surface keeps the mat from absorbing perspiration and trapping odors and makes for easy clean-up. As a bonus, each Heathyoga mat comes with a matching carrying strap for easy roll-up.
- Non-toxic, closed-cell TPE material provides a balanced, supported surface that won’t trap perspiration or retain body odors. It can be easily cleaned up with a few swipes of a damp sponge.
- Eco-friendly, non-toxic construction means the user won’t be exposed to any harmful chemicals and can feel good about their impact on the environment.
- An array of different color combinations lets the buyer personalize their purchase.
- A free carrying strap allows the user to roll the mat up for easy transport and storage.
- Although the mat is designed to be non-slip, it may not be safe for use during hot/bikram yoga. The manufacturer recommends using the Heathyoga mat in conjunction with the specially designed Heathyoga mat during hot yoga to prevent slippage caused by sweating and humidity.
- At 6mm thick, the mat may not be ideal for people who prefer more thickly cushioned support or experience joint pain during their yoga practice.
Benefits of Using Yoga Mats & Buying Guide
Yoga is one of the most popular forms of exercise in the world today. Unlike high-intensity, high-impact workout routines, yoga is oriented around slow, gentle movements and mindful awareness of the body. Regular practitioners can attest to its soothing, calming properties and its potential to vivify and strengthen the entire physique. And one of the best things about yoga? You don’t need a gym membership or lots of expensive equipment to do it. You only need the right yoga mat and yourself.
Whether you’re an introductory student or a more experienced practitioner, the right yoga mat is an essential tool in your physical fitness routine. The ideal mat offers just the right combination of thickness, support, comfort, and tactile appeal. A mat that’s too sticky can make the user touch-averse.
Likewise, a too-smooth mat can pose a legitimate safety hazard, causing the user to slip and slide on the floor and increasing the risk of injury. There are also many more variables to consider including materials, texture, durability, price, and even color, and in a market so over-saturated with options it can be hard to know which mat is right for you.
Final Thoughts on The Best Non Slip Yoga Mats
By now you should have a deeper idea of the diverse selection of the best non-slip yoga mats available today. The mats we’ve profiled suit a variety of different incomes, levels of experience, body types, and other preferences.
We recommend that you use our list as a guide when making your purchasing decision. However, let your physical needs and comfort level be the ultimate deciding factor. After all, the most important feature of any yoga mat is the certainty that it will do its job for you. A mat can have a five-star rating, but if it doesn’t provide the quality of support you need, that feedback is irrelevant.
For beginners, we recommend you start with an affordable mat until you discover what works best for you. Then work your way up to higher-grade equipment. For those more experienced practitioners who have a clearer idea of what their bodies require for optimal performance, there are a number of more sophisticated options that will offer years of enjoyable use. Be sure to also check out our guide to the best non see through leggings and pick your favorite.